20 May 2006

The Fam - 5/15/06

Don Roberto: My host father is 39 years old and works in a detergent factory, I think. He works long hours (he leaves about 5am) and then goes to classes to get his high school equivalency, I think. He is gone a good majority of the time during the week and only gets to really spend time with his kids on Saturdays and Sundays. He demands that his kids study hard and doesn’t really let them go out too much. He works hard so his children can have a better life than him This family has had Peace Corps volunteers live with them before, but I am the first male to stay here, which I think he enjoys…machismo is a pretty big deal here and I doubt he would feel comfortable taking me a lot of the places he has if I were a woman.

Dona Aurora: My host mother doesn’t say much, but is very friendly when she does. She also works during the week at a soap factory, although I’m not sure if it’s the same one where her husband works. She likes to laugh but it seems like finding time for it is a challenge.

Noelia: Sister, age 22 years old. She goes to college for early childhood education and studies a lot, like her father tells her too. She likes hanging out with her friends too when she has time, mostly while she’s at classes. I have had the most interaction with her out of all of the kids, and she has told me she kind of wants to get out of this place and make a life of her own…big dreams.

Cristian (Cheeno): Brother, age 18. We haven’t talked much. He finished high school last year and has been working in the detergent factory too since then. He is thinking about going to Police Training school either this June or next June. He seems pretty friendly and plays soccer on Sundays.

Shirley & Jesica: Sisters ages 10 & 7. The two “chiquitas” with whom I eat breakfast and usually lunch…they goof around a laugh a lot together and are always smiling. They both go to school in the mornings and spend the afternoons doing homework and playing. They help me with my spanish homework and I help them with Math problems. They are my playmates and we have a great time. They remind me a bit of the Calhoun twins, only way less funny. But that might only be because they don't speak English like the Calhoun boys. But then again, for those of you that know them, I think you'd agree that no one speaks English quite like the Calhoun boys.

1 comment:

  1. Hey man. Why does this family like to have Peace Corp people live with them? And do they get paid?

    ReplyDelete