04 December 2006

Package Rules (actually they’re more like guidelines) (2006.12.04)

So it has occurred to me (as well as a few others who have suggested this) that it might be a good idea to put something up to guide those who are kind enough to send me packages. This is not intended to sound picky or unappreciative of anything that gets sent to me by any means but I think it might help.

Rule Number 1 – This is the most important thing: BIGGER IS NOT NECESSARILY BETTER. While it really means a lot when a 10 or 15 pound package arrives from someone, the fact of the matter is that so much stuff is hard to carry around. You must remember that it’s not like I have a car to put all this stuff in and take it home with me. Usually I just have a backpack and usually it’s already full of stuff for whatever trip I might be on when I pass through the city and go to the office to get my mail. Not to mention, really heavy packages cost me more money. If you keep it under 4 or 5 pounds, it’s about 5o cents or a dollar to get it, but once you get much more than that, it starts costing a lot more…like $10 or something. And 10 bucks goes a long way here. It doesn’t matter how much you pay in the states or if you tell them you don’t want the receiver to pay anything. That’s just how it works here. There’s no way around it, I will have to pay for everything sent to me. It doesn’t help to send it by FedEx or DHL or something either, I still end up paying. And the truth is, I don’t need that much stuff :) A nice little package and a heartfelt letter is by far enough to brighten my day. Now, if every once in a while you want to take the plunge and send me something big, I’m not going to gripe too much. But in general, smaller is better.

ARRIVAL TIME: It has taken anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months for things to arrive here. Packages definitely take more time than letters or cards. So just keep that in mind.

CONTENTS IN GENERAL: Usually in the states they have you make a “detailed list” of the packages contents. If for some odd reason you have enclosed something valuable (NOT recommended), don’t mark it on there. Just say it’s cookies and socks or books or something. The Bolivian postal service is less than reliable and anything that appears to have value will definitely be looted.

Onto what to send. While I appreciate all the junk food and candy, it is not necessary to load down the package with it. Besides, most candy melts by the time I am back to my site and is a challenge to eat. Not too mention junk food is not going to help with the constant threat of diarrhea. Plus I don’t want to engordarme (get fat). Long story short, instead of sending the 4 pound thunder bag of M&M’s, a pack or two might be more appropriate. As far as food is concerned, better things to send are Clif Bars, dried fruit (or fruit snacks, yum!), and other things that might actually improve my health as opposed to hinder it. I don’t have the greatest diet in the world and all the candy isn’t helping. A lot of people have sent nuts (peanuts, cashews, etc). Keep that up, they are a great snack that is pretty good for me too. Anything you need a microwave for is out, same goes for things that might require milk. Standard stuff you can make with just boiling water serves just fine.

NOTE: A few people have been so awesome as to send me cans of my favorite food, Skyline Chili. While this is an incredibly awesome gesture (and my family even thinks it’s pretty good) I’m going to politely ask you all to hold off on it. I want to save my tummy for the real thing as soon as I get back and it’s just not the same out of the can. All the same, I devoured the three cans I was sent in about a week and a half.

For some reason, I have gotten a ton of Pringles. I like Pringles just fine, and maybe people think because they are in a can instead of a bag that they won’t get smashed to bits, but this is sadly incorrect. Almost every can I’ve gotten has been more or less a bunch of crumbs. So take note. Perhaps some Snyder’s of Hanover hard pretzels might survive the trip better, hint hint.

Disclaimer: I have PLENTY of socks. I wear socks maybe once or twice a week and the pairs I have will do me just fine for the rest of my service. Many thanks, but socks are not something I can put to good use unless I need to make a puppet show. Same goes for bandannas (thanks Kreiner & Morgan). I think I have more bandannas then underwear, and I gave away about 10. I’m not making this up.

WHAT I WANT MOST: Pictures! Send me photos of stuff going on back home…family gatherings, a night out at the bars in Columbus, anything! Most of you know I’m a picture junkie…so please send me a few windows into what’s going on back home.

ALWAYS GOOD TO SEND:

Pocket size bottles of hand sanitizer. Bolivia is a germ filled land. Again, no need to send the biggest bottle you can find…I am usually on the move and the little bottles work perfect.

A couple AA or AAA batteries. The only things I use batteries for are my headlamp and minidisk player, neither of which burn through batteries very quickly at all. Again, the 35 pack of Duracells is overkill. Just throw a couple in if you’ve got them lying around.

Music or Outdoor magazines. Specifically Rolling Stone. News magazines and sports magazines are kind of a waste on me, unless they pertain to Ohio State.

Books. I have a ton of books to read, but now’s the time to get in all those crazy philosophical “find yourself” books everyone should read, like “Catcher in the Rye.” (already read that one, by the way). Anything that’s been an inspiration to you or moved you or made you think hard about something. If I’ve already read it, no worries, I can donate it to the Peace Corps library for volunteers after me to read. That being said, a few specific books I’d like are “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” by I Don’t Know, “The Price of Loyalty” by Ronald Suskin, “Zenn & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” by I don’t know either. Anything by John Steinbeck except the ones I’ve read, which are as follows: “Grapes of Wrath,” “Of Mice & Men” and “Travels With Charley.” All which I highly recommend. On the spanish front, "Memoria de Mis Putas Tristes" by Gabirel Garcia Marquez would be sweet. Steph, I'm counting on you to find that one. Also, Ben Coleman got me hooked on the Stephen King Dark Tower Series. I’ve made it through the first two books, a friend has the third, but I’m lacking Volumes 4-7. I suggest Half Price Books for all your book purchases (not just for me, but for yourselves as well). Great store.

Music. My immense music collection got left behind in the states. So I’m lacking in that department. Any cds you think a person shouldn’t live without or just ones you know I love or think I’d like. I specifically like mixes. Please help provide the soundtrack for my Peace Corps Service. I bought some speakers to plug into my laptop and everything, so now all I need is stuff to play. Off the top of my head, I’d like to have back the following albums: “Songs You Know By Heart” by Jimmy Buffet, any Jack Johnson album, any Dave Matthews Band album but especially “Live at Red Rocks” and “Crash,” “Rumors” by Fleetwood Mac and “The Wall” by Pink Floyd. Just so you know, I have “Dark Side of the Moon,” no need to send that. Please don't buy these cds, burn them if you have them and send me those copies. Yes, it's kind of illegal but I own all of them at home, so it's really not stealing.

Floss. I prefer Glide. Proper dental care is important. And flossing just feels great. Also good is Eclipse gum. Not that it's healthy for my teeth but nobody likes a guy with bad breath, regardless of how much curly hair he has.

Blank Video Tapes. I'm running low on blank video tapes...and without a camera the videocamera is the best way to remember stuff. What I need are MiniDV tapes...they are tiny little cassettes that are 60 minutes of tape. Any questions can be directed to Uncle Bill.

All in all, I feel pretty special that lots of people send me packages. Not everyone get so much love through the mail, and people always give me crap for taking up so much space on the shelves. So keep the pacakges coming!

I will try and get some more blogs up in the next couple of days...sorry I have been a little aloof...I need to keep my fanbase updated!

Take care, enjoy the December cold, and send some my way if you can. Best.

Ben

1 comment:

  1. BEN RANZ: DO NOT READ THIS COMMENT UNTIL AFTER CHRISTMAS!










    Everyone else:
    If anyone was thinking of sending Ben the Stephen King Dark Tower books, I just sent him book #4 this past Saturday, so now he only needs books 5-7.
    Thanks,
    Coleman

    ReplyDelete